Tuesday 15 January 2013

At last, I'm posting!!!

I know I've been promising for ages to do this, but better late than never. Here goes.

Lets get some photos of what I have been doing. Firstly the Bethlehem Stitch-along Now, I LOVED doing this, until it came to adding fabric. Lost count of the number of times I rang mum in tears. Perhaps it wasn't the best project for a complete novice to start with. I can hand embroider with no issues, the same with making bags etc out of fabric. But put the 2 together was a bit of a stretch!
This was when the fun stopped for me! LOL!!!
Mine now looks nothing like the original because I had great trouble with the patchwork squares for the boarder. No matter how I measured the seams etc, the blocks just wouldn't measure what they were supposed to. But, to be fair, I do actually love the finished hanging. Unfortunately, it's in the November Box in the loft, so unless I can persuade Chris to do up for me, then the finished photo will have to wait until November!

Next project was to make as many Christmas presents as i could in a bid to save money. Strange how you never actually save money though!

I found a fab cushion pattern on this site www.youcanmakethis.com. I ended up making 11 of these cushions and from the feedback, everyone loved them. Below is 2 of the ones i made. I only made the 2 different sizes but I had to work it out from the name sizes + borders + seam allowance. Again, as a novice, I did struggle (think I cried at mum about these too!!!) with the zips! Boy, they were hard work. In the end I kind of cheated and put them in the middles of the backs instead of at the side where I originally wanted it.


The above Mr&Mrs cushions were made for our parents and my brothers and partners.

I then needed some smaller presents. My husband, Chris is a teacher and he always buys something for his TA and then a little something for the other 2 TAs in the year. For his TA and one of the others, who is more of a friend, I made the Sugar Loaf bags by Lisa Lam.

These made a fab present. Again, I struggled (everything on here seems to be a struggle!!! lol but I do enjoy it) with making this. But I persevered and I'm really glad that I did. I LOVE them. Fit perfect in a hand bag. I made 3 of these in the smaller size. I was meant to keep one for myself, but ended up giving the other one to another TA friend. I'm sure thats not the first, or the last, time that I make an extra item for me to only give it away, ay mum! lol

Next I needed to make something for a good friend who is owl mad! So I bought the below pattern from the same place as the name cushions.
I have made more colour combonations of this owl and ended up selling the spares for friends children They went down a storm.


I then started making snakes! My 2 nephews birthdays are in December, so buying for birthday and Christmas can be a bit tricky. So I made them matching snakes (and gave sweets! What sort of Auntie would I be without sweets!)



Then my In-Laws saw them and said a giant one would be ideal for my Sister-In-Law who lives in Australia. She is very used to the warm weather out there, so when there is a little chill, she does really feel it. They said that she has a nasty draft under a door, so a draft excluder size one would be ideal. Unfortunately, I only have a photo taken in the evening on my phone, but will post it anyway.

It ended up being longer than the door, but I still loved it and so did Katie. Not sure what her cat, Anna, made of it though.

I also made a couple of bags for 2 of my closest friends. But in my haste to get them finished I've forgotton to take a photo. I do have one though (I started using it before I gave it away!!) so I will get a photo of it. I also made a Japanese Knot bag and will get photos of that too.

Last Christmas I made LOADS of sock monkeys. One lady put in an order of 17! This is the photo she sent me before wrapping them all up. She put in another order this Christmas for 2 little boys who are new in the family.

I also made owl keyrings which were very popular. I also thought it would be a nice present to make for Chris's class one Christmas. So I made 29 Sock Owl keyrings. I vowed never to make that many in one go again!

I also try crochet now. I'm doing the Granny Stripe that Lucy at Attic24 has made. I am 4 stripes from starting the border. I can't wait. 

 Its a lot longer now! I'll take an update photo ASAP. This is my first crochet project. I have done a few other items in between, such as Lucys Happy Flower Decoration and Birdie Decoration. I loved making those, once I got used to crocheting in circles! YouTube to the rescue!

Another owl project (I can see a theme forming!!) This was one of the VERY first things I made. I bought the pattern when I went to Birmingham NEC with mum.


 And finally.................
I'm sure we all have a project that we have started and not finished. Well here is mine....

 It has progressed slightly from this. I have actually started the stitching around the leaves. Maybe I'll get this done in time for Spring to go in the hall. What a good idea!



2 comments:

  1. And about time too!!
    All looking fab, I love those little owl key rings, and that's not a hint!
    Adam still snuggles up to his cushion at night, tho I'm not sure hell be happy about me telling you that!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the things you have made, Kelley. I can't believe the amount of stuff you and Lynne make and it's complicated stuff too! It's really inspiring. Jackie

    ReplyDelete